Tuesday, February 26, 2013

One hell of a week!

Well all I can say is WOW! Let me start with what happened last Thursday 2/21/2013. I was doing my schoolwork, and whatever around the house as usual when my doorbell rings at noon. I open the door and there stands Jordan! I was literally speechless and in shock since it was a normal school day, had not received any phone calls of misbehavior, nor had my phone rang letting me know she had left school. So of course I let her in, talked to her and I guess she was not happy with her outfit and wanted to change (fancy dress up day or something *rolls eyes*, and did not eat her lunch since it was an option she did not like so she was hungry) To avoid a huge fight I told her to go change, make her a sandwich while I get in touch with the school. She must have been missing from school at least 15 minutes by this point in time and yet still NO CALLS! So as Jordan is changing, eating etc I proceed to try to call the school. numerous times I reached only their voice mail. I was livid! After another 10 minutes at least the principal finally answered and had no idea Jordan had left the building. I got a load of excuses and I informed them I would be sending her back to school within a few minutes once she was changed and had eaten. So, after wrongly assuming she was going to be watched in the very least the rest of that day she walked out of school again a few hours later during the after school program. This time they did call within about 10 mins of her getting home which means about a 15 minute time period from the time she had left. The next day, we had a winter carnival at the school after hours and I made it crystal clear to both the teacher and the principal that should this EVER happen again I will not call the school nor will I send her back to school but will be contacting the Kenosha Police Department and having them come file a report for child endangerment on the school's part, escort Jordan back to school in their squad and only hand her over to the principal n person. They turned on their butt kissing faces and behind covering acts but I was not impressed. The principal said that due to the flights Jordan could not stay for CLC (after school) anymore but since she is starting Rogers later this week, not a huge deal. Now after some discussion with some fellow local parents I drafted up the following letter and had it printed and given to the school.


Dear Principal ********& anyone else this would concern,
As you are aware, on 2/21/13 my 8 year old daughter J*** P**** whose documented psychological diagnoses (ADHD, Bipolar disorder, Anxiety, ODD, SPD & being evaluated for ASD) causes her to be a flight risk, left the school property while in your care and walked to my home unattended at lunch time. The same thing occurred again later the same day. Within the past two years there have been four such incidences. Hopefully I don't need to go into the obvious safety concerns of an 8 year old girl wandering the neighborhood alone while I am under the impression she is safe at school and you are oblivious to her whereabouts. Per my daughter’s plan she has had previously, it is understood she is to be supervised at all times. Clearly this is not occurring. Either you are not following the provisions of the plan, or the plan is insufficient and needs to be revisited. I am hereby requesting an evaluation for an IEP done as soon as possible, a meeting with you and those who are responsible for supervising her and a documented plan for the future to ensure her continued educational success as well as safety while on school property.  Lastly, I have done everything in my power to help including private therapies, making medication adjustments, and Rogers Day treatment beginning this week.  Now it is time for you as school professionals to help her be successful and maintain positive progress in her education. 
Judith J (2/25/2013)

So, now the ball is legally in their court and Jordan is set to begin intensive outpatient Day treatment beginning on March 1st. She will be picked up at noon by transportation, taken to treatment and transported home. The fight to get her an IEP will now be mandatory and she must be evaluated for one. Under state laws she will more than qualify under the Severe emotionally something or other but they will be much more legally liable to give her the services she needs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment